Monday, October 14, 2013

Who I am


Hi! I'm Missy. Welcome to my blog. Let me tell you a little about me. I'm a mother of three: a nineteen-year-old daughter in her sophomore year of college, an almost-fifteen-year-old son in ninth grade, and a thirteen-year-old daughter who homeschools with me. My husband and I just sold our twelve-year-old..........business! Scared you there, didn't I?? So we are beginning a new chapter in our life called "not-knowing-exactly-what-we're-going-to-be-doing-but-trusting-in-God-to-lead-us." Part of this new adventure is being able to pursue interests that we haven't had the time to in the past. Enter A DOULA MAMA! That's me :) and being a doula is what I love. In case you don't know, a doula is a companion to a woman, who is knowledgable about pregnancy, labor, child birthing, and breastfeeding. She is with the mother from the beginning to the end, being able to give the dad a break if need be, and not leaving the mother because her shift has ended (as sometimes happens with labor and delivery nurses). A doula does NOT have medical training, as a midwife does. Instead, she gains knowledge through workshops, self-teaching, and hands-on experience in comfort and relief methods to help the mother achieve the kind of birth SHE envisions. In my next post, I'll share my own birth stories, and what led me to become a doula. ~Missy

No comments:

Post a Comment